Tips on Letting Go of Resentment
- Be mindful that by holding onto resentment, you are replaying old dramas in the theater of the Mind
- We can only change the present, the now, so acknowledge that you cannot change the past. The past is the past, leave it behind and learn from it.
- You know you are a loving, kind human being and you acknowledge that you cannot control those who have rejected you. Again, it’s in the past.
- Be aware that your resentment only gives you illusions of strength. Instead, highlight and validate your real strength and power. The truth of who you truly are.
- Pay attention to the triggers that provoke resentment. Apply the acronym HALT, widely used in 12-step programs: Hungry, Angry, Lonely, and Tired.
- Become mindful and pay attention to your part in allowing the abuse to occur, forgive yourself for that, and make a decision to not let it occur again.
- Be grateful for all the lessons that you have learned as a result of the drama that went before, forgive whenever you can, and learn the art of Mindfulness when you cannot, it’s not about winning or losing, for anyone involved, it’s about allowing Love flow for all concerned.